Directorate of Rehabilitation
Full Name: Ajao Olabode ...................
The rehabilitation of Beggars, Mentally ill, Destitute, Training of disabled persons in vocational trades and the re-socialization of miscreants fall within the purview of the Department.
The Department is comprised of the Rescue Operations Unit, Rehabilitation and Training Centre, Majidun, Ikorodu, Rehabilitation and Vocational Training Centre, Isheri, Vocational Rehabilitation Centre for Persons with Disabilities, Owutu, Ikorodu as well as Destitute Camp, Oko-Baba, Ebute Metta.
The Major Schedules of the Department include:
1. Supervision of the Rehabilitation Centres in the State namely:
i. Rehabilitation and Training Centre, Majidun, Ikorodu
ii. Vocational Rehabilitation Centre for Disabled Persons, Owutu, Ikorodu
iii. Rehabilitation and Vocational Training Centre, Isheri.
iv. Destitute Camp Oko-Baba, Abeokuta Street, Ebute – Metta, Lagos.
2. Presentation of Memos to the Permanent Secretary on the matters affecting the Homes including proposals for the upkeep and Maintenance Allowances for each of the Centres.
3. Compilation of the yearly budget proposals for the upkeep/maintenance of the Homes as well as running the Department.
4. Overseeing the activities of the Rescue Operation Unit.
5. Any other issues relating to the Rehabilitation activities in the State.
6. Any other matter as directed by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Youth and Social Development / The Honourable Commissioner (MYSD)
7. Weekly rendering of activity report of the Department while meeting with the Permanent Secretary.
...UNITS AND REHABILITATION CENTRES
RESCUE OPERATIONS UNIT
This Unit Deals with issue relating to begging and destitution in the State and operates in all 20 LGAs and 37 LCDAs including Central Business Districts (CBD) by continuously embarking on an aggressive rescue of beggars, mentally challenged and destitute from the streets and overhead bridges of Lagos. The unit also presents rescued beggars for prosecution at the Taskforce Mobile Court.
REHABILITATION AND TRAINING CENTRE, MAJIDUN, IKORODU
The Centre provides medical treatment, psycho-social theraphy and vocational training for destitute, mentally challenged and beggars rescued from the streets of Lagos
REHABILITATION AND VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE, ISHERI
The Centre caters for drug dependents and has a population of 44 on Roll and in residence.
The Centre is shared with Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation (WAPA) and Senior Boys Correctional Centre, Isheri formerly referred to as Boys Approved School.
VOCATIONAL AND REHABILITATION CENTRE FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
The Centre is designed for the vocational training of Persons with Disabilities
DESTITUTE CAMP, OKO- BABA, EBUTE-METTA
The Camp is established to provide accommodation, vocational training for destitute in the State. The State supports the destitute at the Camp with foodstuffs, medical treatment etc.
Vocations at the Centres
Sporting Facilities at the CentresThe Rehabilitee train in Football and other sporting events according to individual choice